We found the inspiration for this recipe in the “Eat Well Cookbook,” by Jan Purser and Kathy Snowball. We adapted the recipe somewhat, allowing us to use up the red bell peppers we had in the house. The resulting meal is delicious and got a very emphatic ‘thumbs up’ from everyone. The combination of coriander, onions, garlic, tomatoes, and peppers adds a sweet and savory taste to the dish which we enjoyed.
- 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. coriander seeds, slightly crushed
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds, whole
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger ( if you use fresh ginger, you will need 1 tsp. finely minced.)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely minced
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1 lb. ripe organic tomatoes
- 1 organic red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 2 small jalapeños, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. Himalaya salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. organic ‘No salt’ seasoning
- 6 to 8 organic eggs, depending on the number of people
Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the corriander seeds, and cook covered for 30 to 40 seconds, or until fragrant. Add the onions and cook for about 5-10 minutes, or until the onions are translucent. Add the ginger, garlic, turmeric, tomatoes, jalapeños, bell pepper, and approximately 2 Tbsp. of water to keep the ingredients from sticking to the pan. Cook covered, on low heat, until the vegetables are soft. Season with salt, freshly ground black pepper, and organic ‘No salt’ seasoning. Stir in the chopped cilantro, making sure that everything is well blended.
Spread the tomato, pepper, and onion mixture in an even, smooth layer over the bottom of the pan. Create a separate hollow to break in each egg. Put the lid back on and cook for an additional 8-10 minutes, until the eggs are completely cooked. Before serving, you should see 6-8 separate ‘sunny side up eggs’ scattered throughout the tomato mixture. Spoon the eggs and sauce over gluten free toast, or rice. Serve and enjoy. YUM!
This makes a great brunch for a leisurely Sunday, or a quick and healthy weekday lunch.